Saturday, April 21, 2012

Discrimination in the Community College

I had an interview yesterday at the Community College I was trying to attend and recorded the ENTIRE conversation. I am hard of hearing so I have that in there as well. The whole point of the conversation is to "determine" why I was NOT accepted into their small, puny college. I took the ATB test for students who do not have a GED or HSD. I missed my HSD by three points. Thanks, Secondary Schooling. You've been a wonderful help in my foster home days.

Anyway, I passed their ATB test which is basically a 24 credit program. At first they denied ever accepting Ability to benefit tests at all. Then the woman went on to say I never took the ATB test. I whipped it out of my bag and showed her that I took it.  Then she went to say, I need to take it again. I then whipped out my computer to show her that information she is relating is false By dept of ed. She read it over asked for a copy then said, "This is all new to us" Was her excuse. I know the real reason, she doesn't want another negro attending her school.

She repeatedly try covering her tracks by saying, "We want you to attend school..." And so on and so forth. I recorded the conversation. I need a second opinion. I need a lawyer, an activist who handles educational discrimination. Anyway, She said to me she will need to discuss this with her boss on Monday. To determine if this is acceptable. She said also that they do not have Sign language classes in their school but then signed me up for classes that have sign language courses and when I switched my class from Psychology to Liberal arts (her idea) then she seemed a bit more relaxed.

I don't think it was the idea of me coming to school, it was what I signed up for. She doesn't want to see a colored woman get a higher paying job than herself. This is Rochester, NY. They have so many lawsuits based on racial discrimination, I've read into it and it is unbelievable on how many cases were won and the people who sued, took their families and moved out as far as it could take them.

We had a group of black contractors who were raised here and were mistreated by their white coworkers for years. Despite the fact these men worked just as hard as the white men. When they tried reporting this to their boss they were fired and blown off. So they sued, it took three years but they each won a 1 million dollars.

Another one was a black child who was gifted and wanted to attend an all white school in Irondequiot and was told she could, but then the superintendent of the school district told her no and even made excuses for a solid year saying it was full. Come to find out they had three slots open and some teacher from the school called her to tell her the slot was available. When the mother tried calling the supt. on the slot, they told it was not available. That is when the mother filed a lawsuit...and guess what? she won...took her daughter to another gifted school in another state and never looked back. Oh and this was in Greece, NY.

When I told A about this information he looks at me like I'm nuts and dumb. He said, We live all the way up north...like that holds any value. So what? White racism is everywhere. It doesn't matter.
Oppression was a serious thing in the 30's and still is. He is not educated and does not know anything about the town he grew up in. First of all, when he ordered wings from Pontillos instead of saying, "A" Turhan it said, "A" Turhass"on his food. Ad his family still orders from there. I told him, what if they spit in your food? He is so dumb. I told him, wake up and realize you'll never be white. If he goes in the sun he tans really nice...he won't do it. I know why. He is afraid he'll look middle eastern. It is so sad how this town tries to break people down.

It has so much potential and such an opportunity to be a up growing city. But because racism is still hardcore they'll always be a forgotten town. There are so many cases of racism here. I am on the verge of filing for a lawsuit myself. I rather walk away with money enough to stabilize myself somewhere comfortably back home and get my education there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment