Sunday, January 6, 2013

Getting ready for the next one.

Three weeks until the spring Semester starts for College, anticipation at its finest. I messed up in my ASL class, I didn't pass the course. I am not going to sit here and act like I am the best thing in this world because I am far from it I am just like everyone else I also have things I need to work on. I am hard of hearing but ironically I failed an ASL class. I did't like most of the students in the class they bored the shit out of me, made me nervous and they were snotty when it came to them working with a black woman they rolled their eyes and tried to associate themselves with other pale petite girls like themselves.

          I remember being in front of the class doing my presentation and only getting through half of it and not remembering the rest of it. I am 32 yrs old in a 18-22 yr old setting with a teacher who is 38 yrs old. Not a good thing in my eyes. It may be the age difference that sets me apart from the others. I am a big woman and so being around others who are different from myself just irritates me because they all act the same way. Talk like they live in the Valley, wear those long tan boots, big overstuffed scarves around their neck, straighten their hair, big oversized bags and chew gum. Nothing unusual, just the same attitude, like their Daddies are millionaires and they are to be worshipped. It drove me nuts. I wish I could join a club at the College. They gave us a list of clubs to join, I want to do that. I want to meet other people like myself.

                   So this week I need to get to the School and figure out a game plan for myself to get this ASL grade up to a higher grade. I passed all my other courses except for Math and ASL. I failed math in the Summer, 5 weeks of cramped work. No one knows the reality of coming from an secondary schooling system in foster care. Those places are terrible with keeping students up to par on education like other students who are not in residential placement by the state. When we become adults it affects us because there are no secondary Colleges for continuing education for Ex-foster kids. I remember being in school and having a 5th grade math paper that  I knew easily and I was supposed to be in a 8th grafe math level. I told my teacher and she didn't care. So when I went to a higher math level in College I kinda was stuck because I don't remember learning certain things in school. And it wasn't my fault, it was the school education system's fault for failing to provide adequate Education. And I remember getting grimaced looks from my white teachers when I would present a book report with a higher reading level. My mother taught me those things. And I love her for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment